Saturday, May 2, 2020

Word Picture of Losing a Loved One

The attending doctor called a couple of hours later and I could not comprehend his words, “Come now. He’s dying.” Even now, six weeks later, those words cut through me; they sear my soul.
The next two hours were without equal in my life. I have never experienced emotional pain and loss to that extent and I pray I never will again. I’ve never sobbed that way - huge, wracking, choking sobs. I was kneeling in the big chair by his bed and leaning over trying to hold him. I kept brushing his hair back from his head and pleading with him to not go. How selfish to beg him to stay here facing so much pain when God was calling him to be pain free and with Him forever.
Shannon came just a few minutes after her dad left us. I was so sad she hadn’t really gotten to say goodbye. If only they had let us stay with him. Chad was in Winchester and didn’t make it until that evening. We just never dreamed that we would be losing him that day. I am grateful that the doctor called me and I was there at what was the end for me but, for Rob, a wonderful beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment