Saturday, March 24, 2018

A Newspaper Column Debate



A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made 'no sense' to go to church every Sunday.

He wrote: "I've gone for 30 years now, and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them.  So, I think I'm wasting my time, the preachers and priests are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column

Much to the 'delight' of the editor, it went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now.  In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals."

"But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today".

"Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"

When you are DOWN to nothing, God is UP to something!


Gini's Response: Hmmmmm and Mmmmm  So true.  now that I am 72 I have lost track of the sermons.  Some were definitely "snoozers"  and some were "100% nailed it".  I grew up Southern Baptist, small little Banning church, went to Cal Baptist College (now University).  One of the requirements at CBC was taking two years in Bible (one Old Testament and one New Testament.  The professors was in the "snoozer" category.  She was in her 70s and her lectures were straight read from the text book by Hester.  Actually she was a joke around campus - SAD.  But here I am at age 72 and I LOVE to read God's Word.  So Hmmm and Mmmm.  His Word says "His Word will not return to Him void."  It NEVER grows old.  It continues to nourish this old lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment