Monday, April 6, 2015

Living on the Light Side of Easter...



                                                       MY STORY

When my dad heard my mom was pregnant with me in the mid 1940’s he said, “I could have done without that”… not easy news for a man with an 8th grade education, barely making ends meet with three children, one of which had severe physical disabilities.  I grew up knowing Dad loved Jesus -  Yet, his hot temper and deeply felt emotions were the traits I took as my own.  I remember him telling me as a young adult, “You need to give the Holy Spirit your temper”.
I grew up totally saturated in church.  At an early age I wanted Jesus in my heart but I grew up with doubts about HIS love for me.  How could Jesus love this strong willed, explosive, insecure being?  It wasn’t until the early years of my married life with Charlie I settled those doubts.  Then I knew I belonged to HIM. But my rebelliousness kept me wandering.  I had settled the eternal destination of heaven or hell, but I hadn’t given Jesus that rebelliousness of “I want to live my way”.
 The Book of Psalms in the Bible speak to me – particularly these words “Know HE is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and great in loving kindness, hearing my cries and keeping me.”  God cares about my day to day existence.  So, He took the initiative.  THE PIVITAL POINT , I call my MY AWAKENING was in 1999 – I had a growth in my brain.  I believe  “GOD TOUCHED MY BRAIN AND SAID – I WANT YOUR ATTENTION.”  I survived this growth but I was left with movement issues and a slight double vision…I accept this as a reminder of HIS touch.  Now, the longings of the Psalms fill my heart. The rebellious issues are still there but more words from the Psalms  help keep me centered.   “Be gracious to ME O God, according to YOUR loving kindness, according to the greatness of YOUR compassions, blot out my transgressions.”         
Again and again HIS timing in my life has been impeccable…I am so glad HE took the initiative because in 2005 our son Brian married Kelsi and in 2008 and 2011 our two grand children, Landon and Kyla were born.  What I would be missing if I continued my wanderings!

No comments:

Post a Comment