Friday, April 17, 2015

Disappointed With God?

Reading (again) Philip Yancey's book "Disappointment With God" has blessed and fed the longings of my soul.  I remember my first read reaction - "finally a book that deals with issues of disappointment with God - and those questions: Is God unfair? Is God silent? Is God hidden?

For me, these issues seemed SO personal and relevant only to the here and now...they mattered only in regards to me and my world.  I never considered His feelings.  God is too "God" to consider what HE may have felt or feels.  But as Yancey has led me to consider those feelings, those three questions lost their accusatory base. 

Yancey began his book with the disappointment of other people, giving me that "YES!" attitude...sorta like saying "Sic 'um" to a dog.  But, then, as late as chapter 5 Yancey shared about his two week, totally-isolated-straight-through reading of the Bible.  As he shared his findings, I found myself pausing on nearly every page as I was led to consider my God in a whole new light - how patient, how full of love, how shy to use HIS powers, how hurt, how full of regret, how full of emotions I never considered when I thought about HIM.  Issues I am considering are, once again, affecting my prayer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment