Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Wondrous Cross

Two Hymns of our faith:

THE OLD RUGGED CROSS
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross, the emblem of suffering and shame; and I love that old cross, where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinner was slain.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world, has a wondrous attraction for me; for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above to bear it to dark Calvary.

In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine a wondrous beauty I see; for 'twas on the old cross Jesus suffered and died to pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true, its shame and reproach gladly bear; then he'll call me some day to my home far away, where his glory forever I'll share.

Refrain - So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross and exchange it some day for a crown.


WHEN I SURVEY THE WONDROUS CROSS
When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died, my richest gain I count by loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. 

Forbid it Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God; all the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down.  Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown

Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small; love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.



1 comment:

  1. When I Survey...was written in 1707 by Isaac Watts. His dissatisfaction with the hymns of his day led him to compose more than six hundred hymns, designed to call his congregation to a deeper knowledge and worship of God. It was written for use in a communion service.

    Paul speaks of this consideration in Philippians 3:7-9

    The world has referred to the Christian faith as "A slaughter house religion" because of believers love of the cross.

    Today we often wear ornamented crosses around our necks as "a beautiful piece of jewelry"...I'm drawn to the words of these songs which describe my heart - "I'll cherish the old rugged cross" - only a soul who has accepted HIS sacrificial death can understand that phrase. BLESS HIS NAME.

    ReplyDelete