Friday, August 21, 2020

Yancey's book The Jesus I Never Knew

I'm reading again. Book is The Jesus I Never Knew. What a title. If nothing else could catch my attention, the title should...and it did. What Jesus is the author, Philip Yancey speaking of? It seems his search was NOT for the two dimensional Jesus found on flannel graph boards he heard about as a child. This Jesus was limited by the hands of someone moving him around for the story. And, sometimes Jesus fell off the board if he wasn't carefully placed there. Yeah. I sense the author was in search of the "real" Jesus. And, if all I knew were the sweet stories told to me as a child, I would be searching as well. Yancey asks a lot of questions. Some he answered and I agree with. Other questions were not answered either because Yancey hadn't found the answer at time of writing or he is still on a quest. Regardless, I did find myself agreeing with the "What were you thinking Jesus?" and the many "Why God? questions. Yancey seems to have issues with ALL the silence about THIS SPECIAL LIFE as written about in the gospels. The reader is given some insights into the culture Jesus was born. All of this is helpful because like the flannel graph stories, Christmas cards are lacking. But between Jesus' 12 year old "come and find me Mom and Dad" and John's declaring Him "The Lamb of God", we are left to wonder about who He is. Getting back to me as a reader...I know right away if a book has holding power over my attention. I also know if I am not going to like a book if its messages to me are ones I can't agree with. So, I hit a few spots in this reading that caused me to wonder, "do I continue on...is this worth my time?" I skipped to the last few pages (another technique of mine). And YES. This is a great read! Yancey writes on the final page: "That dark, Golgothan Friday can only be called Good because of what happened on Easter Sunday, a day which gives a tantalizing clue to the riddle of the universe. Easter opened up a crack in a universe winding down toward entropy and decay, sealing the promise that someday God will enlarge the miracle of Easter to cosmic scale. It is a good thing to remember that in the cosmic drama, we live out our days on Saturday, the in-between day with no name --- waiting." 2020 seems to be nothing but one Saturday after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment