Monday, January 14, 2019

Feeling lost

 I wrote the following on Facebook when I was 71...My negative feelings about driving has increased


Gini Walker I am 71 years old. I don't suffer from dementia but I do have an issue with directions (North, South, East, West, left and right.) I've had this all my life. As an educator, my mother used to tell me that my lack of crawling as a baby had an affect on my learning. Who knows. But as I have read some posts here, I realize there are unlabeled issues some of us have. Struggling with directions has been frightening and frustrating for me. Before Charlie and I married, one time I was to pick him up at LAX. I ended up in Costa Mesa. Even as recently as this year, I got so lost and had NO idea which way home was. When I leave an office, trying to figure out if I go left or right to exit the building is more challenging than I ever reveal. Driving is something I dislike very much. So, unless I am going some where close or some where I've frequently driven to, I can't go. I think about friends and loved ones with dementia and it seems they have totally lost their way in their mind. This causes me great sadness. It is so frightening to be lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment